The Washington Times reports that “President Trump returns bust of Churchill to Oval Office“.
Winston Churchill is back in the Oval Office.
On his first day in office, President Trump brought back a bust of the legendary British prime minister to the West Wing, after President Obama had removed it. Mr. Obama replaced it with a bust of Martin Luther King Jr.
Reporters who were summoned to the Oval Office Friday night to witness Mr. Trump signing an executive order noticed the Churchill bust had been returned to the Oval Office.
From Wikipedia, a brief history of Winston Churchill.
Out of office and politically “in the wilderness” during the 1930s because of his opposition to increased home rule for India and his resistance to the 1936 abdication of Edward VIII, Churchill took the lead in warning about Nazi Germany and in campaigning for rearmament. At the outbreak of the Second World War, he was again appointed First Lord of the Admiralty. Following the resignation of Neville Chamberlain on 10 May 1940, Churchill became Prime Minister. His speeches and radio broadcasts helped inspire British resistance, especially during the difficult days of 1940–41 when the British Commonwealth and Empire stood almost alone in its active opposition to Adolf Hitler. He led Britain as Prime Minister until victory over Nazi Germany had been secured.
Here are some quotes from the two men. Churchill first, Trump after.
- “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” Churchill
“What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.” Trump
- “History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.” Churchill
“Anyone who thinks my story is anywhere near over is sadly mistaken.” Trump
- “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” Churchill
“I try to learn from the past, but I plan for the future by focusing exclusively on the present. That’s were the fun is.” Trump
- “Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” Churchill
“Sometimes your best investments are the ones you don’t make.” Trump
- “A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” Churchill
“As long as your going to be thinking anyway, think big.” Trump
- “Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense.” Churchill
“In the end, you’re measured not by how much you undertake but by what you finally accomplish.” Trump